Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Halloween Tarot

There are so many Tarot decks out there that I can't even keep track anymore, and that's a pretty cool thing. No matter what you're interested in--cats, dragons, Arthurian legend, photo collage, specific artists (Hieronymus Bosch, Salvador Dali, etc.), Celtic traditions, vampires, crystals, and on and on--there's a deck in that theme. I happen to be nuts about Halloween, and when I first saw the Halloween Tarot by Kipling West (U.S. Games Systems, 2003; this link is for the deck and book set) a few years ago in a metaphysical book shop, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't until I finally purchased it just a few months ago, however, that I really fell in love with its numerous charms.

I initially thought that this might be kind of a fluffy deck; the colors are bright, striking, and whimsical, and the images are not "dark." Even traditionally unnerving cards like The Tower, Death, and The Devil have a lighthearted bent in the Halloween Tarot. A curious black cat appears in every single card of both the Major and Minor Arcana, and we follow its journey like we would follow The Fool through his. When I finally did a reading with the Halloween Tarot, any illusions I had about it being fluffy were dispelled. These cards were crisp and clear in their message, and, most importantly, I had a lot of fun reading them. I re-discovered Halloween!

Traditional Tarot suits are Wands (fire), Cups (water), Swords (air), and Pentacles (earth). The Halloween Tarot makes excellent use of these elemental correlations and gives us Imps (in place of Wands/fire), Ghosts (Cups/water), Bats (Swords/air), and Pumpkins (Pentacles/earth). Court Cards follow the typical Rider-Waite structure of Pages, Knights, Queens, and Kings. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm including several images from the deck below (some of the Major Arcana; a Court Card from each suit, and a Minor Arcana card from each suit) along with brief comments:

I love this Death card. The growth/change/rebirth theme is wonderful here. In Temperance, the artist and alchemist themes are apparent as the witch happily mixes her concoctions. There's a lot going on in these cards.

Frankenstein is the steadfast Emperor! The Bride of Frankenstein as The Empress is a fantastic symbol of the creation of new life, and she expresses her nurturing side with her cat.

The solitary Hermit is shown as a mad scientist, keeping to himself and spending his time gleaning knowledge. In The Tower card, the traditionally terrifying image is made more whimsical in the spirit of Halloween.

Strength makes clear the impact of finesse over brute strength. The image on the right is the fully reversible backside of all the cards. I prefer my card backs to be reversible so that I don't know in advance if the card will fall right side up or reversed.

Examples of the suits of Imps and Bats. Happiness and celebration are clear in the Four of Imps, and the woman in the Eight of Bats is wrapped up in toilet paper by mischief-making bats as if in the midst of a Halloween prank. She can easily escape, but chooses not to.

Examples of the suits of Pumpkins and Ghosts. The woman in the Nine of Pumpkins is content and successful as she tends her garden. The three Ghosts celebrate, intertwined, over a starlit pumpkin patch.

One each of the four Pages and Knights.

One each of the four Queens and Kings.


If you get a chance to read with this deck, definitely give it a go. As I said, I was surprised at and so pleased with the results (shame on my preconceived notions!). When I was a kid, Halloween was fun and spooky, and a time I looked forward to all year; as a grown-up, I find that I'm reminded of those feelings when I pull out this deck. I consider it a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment